Survey and Land Sector
Profile of Dzongkhag Survey & Land Sector, Gasa
The National Land Commission Secretariat was institutionalized as an Autonomous Agency in August 2007 after the enactment of the Land Act, 2007 during the 87th Session of the National Assembly. With its commencement, the responsibilities such as transfer of land registration from Royal Court of Justice, Thromde land transaction from MoWHS, Resettlement responsibility from MoHCA, Cadastral Re-surveying of all Dzongkhags using most advanced technology and development of a comprehensive land registration system through ICT has been given to the National Land Commission Secretariat.
The National Land Commission Secretariat consists of three divisions under Department of Land Administration and Management (DoLAM) apart from three technical Divisions under Department of Survey and Mapping (DoSAM), PPD, HRD, AFD etc: The three Land Registration Divisions under DoLAM are:
- Rural Land Division
- Urban Land Division
- Land Management Division
The Survey & Land Sectors of 20 Dzongkhags are instituted under the direct supervision of Department of Land Administration and Management and Department of Survey and Mapping. Each Survey & Land Sector of the Dzongkhag is headed by the Dzongkhag Land Registrar and is functioned as per the directives of two Department Directors and Division Chiefs.
The Dzongkhag Survey & Land Sector carries out all the land related services of the entire 4 Gewogs of the Dzongkhag. The 4 Gewogs comprises of Khamoed, Khatoed, Laya and Lunana gewogs. The Dzongkhag Survey & Land Sector, Gasa has currently 6 staffs as follows:
- Kuenga Wangmo, Assistant Dzongkhag Land Registrar.
- Tshering Dorji, Land Record Assistant.
- Kinga Singye, Land Record Assistant.
- Kelzang Dorji, Land Inspector.
- Yangchen Norbu, Survey Field Assistant.
- Dorji Khandu, Driver
II. Land Sector’s Vision and Mission
Vision: A dynamic and professional sector that delivers excellent land services and provides reliable land information to the public.
Mission: Manage, regulate and administer the land ownership and use of land AND
Ensure easy access to reliable land information.
Strategy: Improve and strengthen land registration and transaction services through online system. And Improve and strengthen land cadastral services.
III. Mandates of Dzongkhag Survey & Land Sector
- Land administration and management.
- To cater land registration and transaction services.
- To prepare new land records as per government directives, carry out land registration and transfer land reflected in Thram.
- To maintain the Chazhag Thram of the Gewogs under the safe custody of Dzongkhag Survey and Land Sector.
- To maintain records of total acreage of various types of privately registered landholdings and general information on government and public owned land in the kingdom.
- To issue copies of Sathram, with respect to land already recorded in the Chazhag Thram of Government, and to provide information indicating the costs and taxes with details of land types to landowners.
- To provide information on registered land.
IV. Functions/Responsibilities of Dzongkhag Survey & Land Sector
- To process for registration of land as per Royal Kasho.
- To maintain and safeguard the Thrams and related documents at Dzongkhag.
- To correspond with court for thram copy, thram history, transaction history etc for purposes of processing land disputes and investigations.
- To process for normal land transactions (inheritance/sale purchase/gift/exchange/donation/ etc) submitted by the gewogs through online e-sakor portal.
- To process for acquisition of government and private registered land and allotment of land substitutes and cash compensation to the affected landowners.
- To process for SRF land lease, exchange, conversion and other land cases.
- To conduct land verification of disputes, land exchange of private land with SRF land and other purposes.
- To implement the decisions of the commission and Dispute Settlemet Committee.
- To implement the directives received from the Office of Gyalpoi Zimpon.
V. Different land services
The Nationwide National Cadastral Resurvey has been successfully completed in the entire Dzongkhags in 2012. The National Land Commission has also introduced the online transaction system (e-Sakor) in 2008 and currently the online transaction system is operational in all the 20 Dzongkhags where the New Thrams has been issued after completion of the National Cadastral Resurvey. In Gasa, the New Chazhag Thrams and Lagthrams of 4 Gewogs were issued in 2017.
The following are the various land services provided by the Dzongkhag Survey and Land Sector:
1. General Land Transactions
- Land transaction (change of ownership from deceased/inheritance/gift/sale purchase/exchange/donation).
- Registration of land based on Court Verdict.
- Registration of land based on Royal Kasho.
- Land type conversion from Chuzhing to Khimsa.
- Thram corrections (for plot/sheet number, plot name, plot merging, for spelling mistake of landowner, village name, ID card number, etc).
- Surrender of Registered Land to Government.
- SRF Land Allotment on User Right System through Land Use Certificate (LUC).
2. Private Land acquisition with State Land
- Acquisition with cash compensation.
- Acquisition with allotment of land substitute from state land.
3. Transfer of land between Government Institution.
4. Thram omission.
5. State Land Lease
a) State land lease for Commercial Agriculture Farming
b) State land lease for Business Activity
- State land lease for Mining Activity
- State land lease for Development Activity
- State land lease for Tsamdro/Pasture
- State land lease for Sokshing
6. Miscellaneous Land Services
- Issuance of Land Ownership Certificate (Lagthram).
- Mortgage of registered land for Loan